02 July 2005

Live 8 - Saturday Afternoon

Like most people around the world today, I'm glued to Live 8 at the moment. Coverage started here at 8 am this morning, and I've got TVs strategically set up on each floor of our house, so I can keep one eye on the show while I'm doing other stuff.

I missed most of the big opening from London this morning, cos I actually have to work for part of today (boo!), but I've got it recorded so I can check it out later. Duran Duran have already played their set in Rome, and I'm hoping that CTV broadcast at least some of it. I'm hoping that A-ha's set in Berlin makes it (or has already made it) into the broadcast. And the Pet Shop Boys in Moscow might well be good.

Other than that, not many other acts are really turning my crank, except for those in London. However, unlike 20 years ago, there should be lots of places to go online to see the different performances. I'd love to see all of London uncut, but here we mostly have the Canadian show live from...Barrie! whooooooo! (not)

Really wondering what kind of impact this event is going to have. What will happen in Gleneagles next week? Huge exciting announcement from the G8 leaders? Or more hot air? Who knows? Sometimes I'm kind of cynical about all this stuff, but Jesus, can we afford not to at least try and influence the outcome?

And on that note, if you haven't already done so - and shame on you if you haven't - get over to one of these websites, inform yourself, and support the cause...

Canada: www.makepovertyhistory.ca
US: www.one.org
UK: www.makepovertyhistory.org

No comments: