23 January 2006

Election Day

Well, by the end of today we'll know the shape of things to come in this country, for the next little while at least. My prediction (and fervent hope): a Conservative minority government. Looks like there's probably no stopping the Tories, unfortunately, but a minority may keep their worst excesses in check.

I'll be off to the polls after work. Electoral result probably a foregone conclusion in my riding (the incumbent is pretty popular - and a good politician, I think), but you never know. There are actually five candidates for MP in our riding - one from each of the three main parties, one Green candidate, and one...Marxist-Leninist. Heh. I think that's completely brilliant. I really enjoy being able to tell people that there's a Marxist-Leninist jockeying for my vote. He's run in every election here for nearly 20 years now (I remember him from my undergraduate days) and he's quite the character.

No comments: