28 February 2006

Lectures - Part Two

Just in from an extremely good lecture which took place on campus after work this evening. The School of Management has just launched a new lecture series on public policy and spirituality, and the inaugural lecturer this evening was Terry Waite.

As Waite is a figure I have long admired, I went along to the lecture. But I was an eedjit to think I could just wander in five minutes before the lecture was due to start. The auditorium was packed out, and I ended up sitting on the floor in the atrium outside with scores of other people, listening to the lecture over loudspeakers. It was OK though - Waite has a rich, resonant voice, and is very pleasant to listen to. (God knows he's honed his public speaking abilities over the years!)

He spoke at length about the years in which he was held hostage in Beirut, and the spiritual dimensions of his work and life, both during and since that time. Moving stuff.

No comments: