17 March 2006

The horror!

Some bizarre nature-related happenings at home last night.

Just before bed, A. casually mentioned that he'd noticed earlier in the day that there were 'a lot' of little spiders in the living room. As I can't stand spiders, I asked him to elaborate. How many? "Oh, 30 or 40...on the ceiling", he says. I freaked. Went downstairs, turned on the lights and had a look. And it was true - there were scores of tiny spiderlings all over the ceiling, spinning their little webs. I couldn't believe it. Got out the vacuum cleaner and made A. hoover them up on the spot. Had NO idea where they could have all come from. But in the light of day this morning, we had a look around the living room and discovered that the log basket next to the fireplace was covered in a fine net of webs. So we can only presume that there were spider eggs on some of the logs that came in from the woodpile outside, and they've been hatching. *shudders*

I didn't sleep very well last night, thinking about them. I really can't abide spiders - they're the stuff of nightmares for me. And it didn't matter that these spiders were practically microscopic. It's a known fact that if you leave spiders in your house be, they come skittering down from the ceiling, crawl up on you in the night, and eat your face.

*nods emphatically*

No comments: