19 May 2006

May 24th Weekend

It's the long weekend, and man, have we got lots to keep us busy. Which is just as well, as the forecasted showery weather will probably put the kybosh on my plans to get out of the city for a little jaunt somewhere. Bleh.

Oh well. With the risk of frost (hopefully) over now, the garden is calling. The damp weather is pretty good for it, as it means less watering-in for the new tender plants and bulbs I've received this week. Yesterday, we took delivery of both the order I placed with my mother-in-law's garden club, and my second order with Vesey's. Via my MIL, I got root stock for astilbes, irises, and some beautiful dark-red daylilies. And from Vesey's, I got bulbs for lilies-of-the-valley, blue dahlias, and a pinkish calla lily. I also couldn't resist splurging on this gorgeous David Austin rosebush, 'The Generous Gardener':


In the midst of all this planting-out, A. is also planning to re-lay the brick path running between the driveway and deck. It's sunken at one end and water pools on it when it rains, so the whole thing needs to be lifted, re-laid on a bed of gravel, and a drain put in.

Oh yeah, and I need to finish painting the downstairs bedroom this weekend too - I started on it earlier this evening. Whew. Tired just thinking about it all.

No comments: