22 July 2006

The Devil Wears Prada

Took myself off to the cinema this evening. I'd planned on seeing Lady in the Water, since I've enjoyed all the films I've seen so far by M. Night Shyamalan. But when I arrived and looked at what else was playing, I decided to wait as A. would probably enjoy seeing Lady in the Water also. And on reflection, seeing a scary movie and then going home by myself to an empty house didn't seem like such a great idea after all.

So instead, I saw The Devil Wears Prada, since there was no question of A. being interested in that. I must admit, I quite enjoyed it. It was a piece of fluff, of course, but I was in the mood for something light. The best thing about it was Meryl Streep, who was witheringly brilliant. But my God, the entire film was one giant advert. Obviously, since it's a movie about the fashion industry, I expected the parade of designer gear - but the product placement even beyond that was astonishing.

Before the film started, one of the previews was for the remake of the 1960s cult British horror film The Wicker Man. The remake stars Nicholas Cage and the setting has been moved from Scotland to America. I'm pretty dubious about it, as I'm a fan of the original...but I'll probably still go see it in September when it's released.

No comments: