28 July 2006

This Day in History...

Two weird occurrences today. First, I can't believe it was twenty-five years ago today that this happened:

I was eight years old then, and remember it vividly. We were at our cottage in northern Ontario at the time, and I got up at 5.00 am that morning to start watching the wedding coverage on our tiny black-and-white TV (which only picked up one or two channels, as I recall). Very sad, looking at those pictures now.

And in another addition to the annals of British cultural history...the last-ever episode of Top of the Pops aired tonight on the BBC. Having started in 1964, TOTP was the world's longest-running pop music TV show, and made seminal viewing for generations of British youth. Granted, it became increasingly cheesy and irrelevant over the past decade (when I started tuning in), but it's still hard to believe that it's gone.

We actually get the show here on cable (BBC Kids!), about three weeks late. I'd been planning for some time to add on an extra package to our current basic service, and one of the channels in the package is BBC Kids. I might see if I can get that switched on this weekend, just so I can catch the last few episodes.

No comments: