18 February 2007

Atlantic News

Went downtown yesterday and had a wander around the shops - you know, like I used to have time to do, before I started working two jobs. Anyway, I finally made it down to Atlantic News, the best newsstand in the city. I have not set foot in there for years (i.e. since 1995 or thereabouts). I have no idea why. And it's a grave oversight, because that place is excellent.

Massive selection of newspapers, they have - I see they get the Sunday New York Times in store by Sunday evenings, usually. Must look into that. But I contented myself yesterday with a copy of last Saturday's Guardian from the UK. And not that crappy international version, either - but the real, domestic version. Joy! The Guardian is one of the few papers that can be accessed online for free, but there's something to be said for holding a real newspaper in your hands.

The other fabulous thing I found at Atlantic News is that they import and carry BBC Homes & Antiques, one of my favourite magazines. Yay! I love that magazine so much - I even packed up my back issues and brought them home from Ireland with me, just for reference purposes. At $10.95 per issue (ouch), I think it will be an occasional treat rather than a regular monthly purchase, as it used to be - but great to know it's there, at least.

No comments: