01 March 2007

Amazing Grace

This week, I've been reviewing outlines submitted to me by my students, for their research essays (which are due in three weeks' time). It's interesting, seeing what some of them have decided on in terms of topics.

The abolition of slavery in the Empire seems to be popular so far - I've already seen three outlines for that. And coincidentally, there's a movie about to be released on that very subject. It's called Amazing Grace and focuses on William Wilberforce, an evangelical reformer and MP in the early nineteenth century who was the leader of the antislavery movement in England. The film has a good cast and crew behind it, but I don't know how historically accurate it is - or if it's as moralistic as it appears. I see from the official website that it's being heavily marketed to Christian groups, a la The Passion of the Christ...and one of the sub-plots revolves around the man who wrote "Amazing Grace".

Regardless, I'm happy (though presumably the students in question are not) that it's not being released in Canada until after the essays are due. Otherwise, I'd be concerned that some of them would just go watch the movie and use that as a springboard for their essays, instead of conducting proper research in the library. It's a common 'shortcut' for some students to take.

No comments: