07 March 2007

Facebook

I set up an account over at Facebook, over a year ago, but until the last few weeks, I never really did much with it. Since I started teaching, however, I thought I should update my details. I've also been hearing more and more about how university recruiters are using Facebook to target potential students. Since my MySpace page is totally personal, and allows for no networking in uncool fields like education, I thought I'd better get a work-based, professional page going over at Facebook.

After doing some browsing, I've actually found some people I know over there - far more than is the case on MySpace. Given that until recently, Facebook was restricted to people in education, I guess this isn't surprising. This morning, I even got a friend request from one of my own students. Heh. Not quite sure why a hipper-than-thou undergrad would want a stodgy lecturer on her friends list - but there you are.

Not sure I want to find my students' pages, actually. Naturally, they're chocka with glitter graphics, protestations of lurve, drunken photos, etc. Hee.

2 comments:

Jonathan Crowe said...

In my experience, Facebook's denizens seem even younger than MySpace's, which I just can't figure out.

Anonymous said...

"Not quite sure why a hipper-than-thou undergrad would want a stodgy lecturer on her friends list...

...Coz yer so purdy 'n smart