18 May 2007

Televisual Goodness

After months of dithering (mostly because I couldn't find the time to sit down and do the research), yesterday we finally upgraded our cable package and TV system. We've now got HDTV and a DVR with multiple tuners.

The HDTV thing was really starting to bug me. We've owned a 27" widescreen HDTV-ready television for over two years now, but had never gotten around to getting an HDTV cable box and subscribing to the actual channels. Ridiculous, really. Now that we've done that, the difference is quite astonishing. We've got all the major networks in HDTV now, and the picture quality really is noticeable. I was just watching a travel programme earlier, and every time they showed a work of art, it practically leapt off the screen - the picture is amazingly sharp, and the colours extra-vibrant.

The HDTV box also has a DVR built-in. We had a DVR before (purchased as part of our home theatre system) but it only had a single tuner - so you couldn't watch one channel and record another, for instance, which was annoying. This new DVR has multiple tuners, so I can record shows on up to two different channels at once, while watching a third channel (or even another show recorded earlier!). It's pretty neat - I think it's the same concept as that TiVo thing they have in the US.

Given that we've got a rainy, miserable long weekend coming up, I think I'll be spending some time over the next few days learning how to use all these new features (and checking out all the new channels I've subscribed to - like BBC Canada, at last!).

No comments: