10 June 2007

Gardening Day

Finally got to the garden centres today, to buy some seedling plants. Most were things for our deck containers - with the construction work (and relaying of our lawn to come) the flower beds will be a bit of a washout this year.

For the kitchen container garden on the front deck, we got a bunch of different salad leaves, herbs (parsley, basil, chives, coriander), strawberries, tomatoes and peppers (red, yellow, green and white!). Oh, and a pumpkin, because A. always likes to try growing odd things.

For the planters on the main deck, I got an assortment of salvia, geraniums and nasturtiums, as well as some ground cover (the name of which I now forget, but it produces small white flowers). Also picked up a foxglove to try under the maple tree - my efforts to grow some from seed last year having failed.

At least the flowering shrubs can be counted on, as always. The lilac tree is in full bloom at the moment - after last year's disappointing display, this year it's glorious. And all the rhododendons are coming on now too - they should be fully out within the week.

Recently I discovered the craziest thing. After coddling some lilies of the valley these last two years, in the front garden, I was wandering around behind the house yesterday...and discovered loads of them, blooming all over the place, under the trees. I can't believe I've lived here almost three years and never noticed them. God, I'm ridiculously unobservant sometimes.

No comments: