26 June 2007

Menu

This is the menu I calligraphed for my sister-in-law's wedding last weekend. Click on the image to enlarge it - I scanned it at high resolution so the detail could be seen (it's big).


The bride wanted a little Irish influence in her German-themed wedding, to reflect her own heritage. So she asked me to do her menu and placecards in Uncial script (the same hand in which the Book of Kells and other great Irish medieval manuscripts were written). In the end, to keep things legible, I decided to use a combination of Uncial and sans-serif Roman caps.

I did a large-size original, then reduced it and had it colour-copied onto letter-size Artoz pink bond paper. The original copy was done on A3-size white layout paper, in brown walnut ink. I used 1" and 3/4" Brause broad-edged pens for the Uncial script, and a Perry & Co. Indent pointed pen (no. 2301 EF) for the Roman caps.

While I made some spacing and centering flubs, all in all I'm very pleased with how the menu turned out. One for the portfolio, for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn, that's some fancy writin'. Menu looks delish. Congrats to the happy couple... were the "Big Three" played at the reception?