06 July 2007

Back From the Jungle, Baby

Returned to Caracas tonight after three amazing days on the Caribbean coast at Ocumare de la Costa, with four other Canadians also attending the wedding with us.

Spent Wednesday afternoon at a stunning beach, and all day Thursday at a lagoon camp owned by the lodge where we were staying (to which we travelled by boat). We spent a lot of time on the water, kayaking and then snorkelling on the coral reef. The range of tropical fish we saw was unreal - and apparently, the place we're headed to on Monday is even better for diving. This morning, we were up early for a trek into the rainforest - three and a half hours hauling ass up a jungly mountainside. Waterfall at the top where we could cool off and have some lunch, but we nonetheless emerged at the end very sweaty, sticky and quite filthy. It was still bloody cool, though.

Just had my first hot shower in days and cleaned myself up - Jesus, I'm a wreck after this little adventure tour. I've got to attend this wedding tomorrow and have a lovely strapless dress to wear...but my shoulders and back are sunburnt, I've a rash on my upper arms, and my legs are a mess of bruises, coral lacerations, scratches and mosquito bites. Kinda scuppers the image I had of myself as a bathing beauty on the beach at Los Roques next week, too. Feh. :-/

No comments: