17 July 2007

Sicko Jazz

Off tonight to a college alumni 'do, down in the VIP tent at the JazzFest (ooh la la). It's a beautiful warm evening, so it should be fun. I could be persuaded to toss down some canapes and a chilled glass of wine, all right. L. and M. are meeting us there, so we can all swap travel stories (they got back last week from their honeymoon in Iceland).

Forgot to mention that I saw Sicko on Sunday night. Not as compelling as some of Michael Moore's other stuff, but pretty good nonetheless. I don't believe for a second that Moore is unbiased - he's definitely working his own agenda. The rosy glow he painted around the Canadian health care system is proof enough of that (I mean, it's really nice that he likes us and all, but still...). And the last half-hour of the film, which was based in Cuba, had me shaking my head - cos I'm sure it had Fidel Castro's propaganda machine clapping their hands with glee.

Despite that, the same thing I thought about Fahrenheit 911 applies to Sicko: even if only, say, 25% of what Moore says is true, it's still an utterly damning indictment. What shocks me the most is that Americans, as a people, still have yet to stand up and demand universal health care as a fundamental human right. I honestly don't understand anyone who could argue against it.

No comments: