30 September 2007

SPCA

Went last night to a charity dinner and auction for the provincial SPCA. A. sits on its Board of Directors, so we really had to put in an appearance. The owner of his clinic kindly bought a table, so all the employees could attend.

It ended up being pretty fun. There was a silent auction beforehand, in which I ended up winning two items which will make nice Christmas gifts. Then after dinner, there was a live auction of all kinds of donated goodies. At one point, I began bidding on what I thought was a painting of Peggy's Cove. I was amazed that the bidding only went as high as $30, upon which I won. I was all excited to have won a painting for only $30...until the others at the table told me that no, I'd actually won one of the (admittedly very nice) floral arrangements on the tables:


(And no, you're not seeing things - the "vase" is, in fact, a dog dish.)

What the hell?!?! Granted, I'd had a few glasses of wine at that stage, but I was paying attention - and the whole time I was bidding there was a girl standing at the podium showing the painting. Not sure how it happened, but I did have a good laugh about it. Note to self: DON'T DRINK AND BID! Put down the paddle and step away from the wine. ;-)

The evening ended on a high note when they drew for the raffle prize and...I won! I got a big basket with over $200 worth of skin care products by Arbonne. Also inside were a gift certificate from a salon downtown for a haircut and style, and another gift cert from another salon for a haircut and style, a tanning session, a brow wax, and $10 off any tattoo or body piercing. Hahahahaha!! Yep, I'll be making that tattoo appointment right away.

So, quite a good evening, all around - and it raised over $20,000 for the SPCA too, which is great.

No comments: