11 September 2007

Weakling-B-Gone!

In an effort to light a fire under my fitness routine, I've recently decided to give weight training a go. It's never appealed to me in the past, but I keep reading about how extra muscle mass is especially beneficial for women in their 30s and 40s, who are looking to keep in shape. Plus, combined with some cardio, it's apparently a good way to rid oneself of those last few pounds standing between one and bodaciousness. Which sounds good to me.

But how to start? I hate gyms, so I did a little research online and ended up getting this DVD from Kathy Smith, as well as a selection of dumbbells. I've never done a Kathy Smith workout, but she's been around forever and has sold a shedload of videos, so I guess they must be good. Anyway, I'm now into my fourth week of the program (doing both the upper- and lower-body segments twice a week) and am getting the hang of it. I started out very wimpily, using 1, 3 and 5 lb. weights, but last week, I moved up to 3, 5 and 7 lbs. My upper body is killing me as a result, but hopefully I'll get stronger soon (my lack of upper-body strength generally is pretty pathetic).

In another few weeks, once I can manage the current weightload OK, I'll move up to the 5, 7 and 10 lb. dumbbells. By then, I hope the scale and bodyfat monitor will show a difference too - although I'm most interested in getting stronger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoo! I'll arm wrassle ya next time we get together.