31 October 2007

On "Sexy" Halloween Costumes

Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like total sluts, and no other girls can say anything about it.
"Mean Girls
" (2004)
Forget ghosts and ghouls. Much has been written recently about the growing phenomenon of women using Halloween as an excuse to dress like strippers. Time was that most women reserved Playboy Bunny and Naughty Nurse costumes for the bedroom, but not any more. But while it may be fun, is it harmless?

I did a little surfing to check out the latest costumes, and it didn't take long before I found myself kinda shocked. For instance, this year, some f@#!wit thought it would be clever for women to dress up as "Anna Rexia" for Halloween:


That's a tape measure around her waist, in case you were wondering. This is wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to start. What's next - dressing up as cancer, or heart disease, or AIDS? (I jest, of course - THAT would be deemed insensitive and wrong.)

My other big problem is that the trend is, unquestionably, trickling down to children. Don't believe me? Check out this "US Diva" costume for little girls, which you can apparently buy at Target and other American mega-stores:

That's right! Now you can dress your daughter as a War Whore for Halloween!

Can anyone tell me who in the hell buys this garbage?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, last night on Spring Garden, I saw one girl in Pocahontas dress (if Pocahontas' dress didn't cover her ass cheeks) and her friend in chaps. And it was about five degrees above zero. It's true - pagan echoes have been shouted down by skankiness.