09 October 2007

Skinny Bitch

Have you heard about Skinny Bitch? It's the hot new diet book that's been flying off the shelves ever since Victoria Beckham (hello!) was photographed with it a few months ago.

Last time I was at the public library, I picked it up to see what all the fuss is about. All I can say is, I'm certainly glad I didn't pay money for it. Beyond the chick-lit cover (no doubt designed to rope in women who think Confessions of a Shopaholic is a serious novel), this book is basically just a pro-vegan diatribe from beginning to end. Not that this is offensive in and of itself, of course. But coupled with the hectoring tone of the nitwit Californian authors, I found the book pretty patronizing. Not sure why any writer would think it's a good idea to address readers as "assholes" and "shitheads" (seriously!) because they eat meat and dairy and/or can't fit into size 4 clothing.

Let me save you the trouble - unless you're considering becoming a vegan (and if you are, good luck to you), don't bother with Skinny Bitch. Actually, scratch that - I'm sure there are far better-researched and more authoritative books on veganism out there than this lame cash-grab.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My hero. Always.

:)