14 November 2007

Rotten Luck

Got back from New York City late (unexpectedly, very late) on Monday evening. While I ended up having a great time, it was a rollercoaster of a weekend.

The main reason J. and I planned this trip was to see one show in a very special series of concerts by our favourite band on Saturday night. The venue for this particular show was a Broadway theatre, and it was staged in three "acts". It was quite unlike any show they've ever done before - we simply couldn't wait to see it, especially as it was nearing the end of its nearly two-week run and the reviews from other fans had been fantastic.

And then, on Saturday morning...the Broadway stagehands decided to go on strike. Nearly all the theatres shut down immediately, and shows were cancelled until further notice - including our show. We couldn't believe it - it seemed like a bad dream. The band managed to reschedule their final two shows at a rock club in the city, but it was too late for me to see them, as I had to leave on Monday. All I can do is console myself with fan-made videos of this show on YouTube, now. :-(

We ended up getting together that evening with some other disappointed fans, went out for dinner and drinks, and made the best of it. I ended up in a pub in Greenwich Village with my good friend C. and some other folks as well, which was great fun - just not quite the evening all of us had planned!

Fortunately the rest of our visit went really well. J. treated us to two nights in a lovely room at the Mercer Hotel, which we thoroughly enjoyed (especially the huge marble bathtub). We had a fab visit to the galleries of the Frick Collection (about which I will blog separately) on Sunday afternoon, and I even managed to squeeze in a little Christmas shopping in SoHo.

No comments: