09 March 2008

Avant Got A Clue

Went to see Happy Days by the Nobel laureate Samuel Beckett at Neptune last night. W. came along with me. I'd been quite looking forward to this play...until I remembered that Beckett's stuff is weird as all hell. Last night's play was no exception. The main character spends the entire first act buried up to her waist in a giant pile of dirt - and the second act, buried up to her neck. Seriously. Forty-five minutes of just this woman's head on stage.

It was pretty damn odd, for sure - but not as awful as I feared it might be. Unlike many in the audience (the Neptune Studio was noticeably half-deserted after the intermission) I stuck it out till the end. Let's just call it a "challenging" piece of theatre. Luckily W. and I had fortified ourselves at Stonehaven beforehand, with cheesecake and about a gallon of coffee!

No comments: