11 May 2008

The Producers

Last night was our last show of the season at Neptune. My mother joined us for the weekend, and we saw The Producers. It was great - one of the best all-round musicals I've ever seen, and certainly the funniest. It was so politically-incorrect, yet so OTT, that I found myself cringing and laughing hysterically in turn. There were blatant stereotypes aplenty (Nazis, gays, Swedes...), and the show-within-a-show, Springtime for Hitler, was the craziest, most offensive and yet hilarious thing. You can't imagine the setpieces. A kick-line of goose-stepping SS officers! Chorus girls in glittery head-dresses shaped like pretzels and wurst! A cameo appearance by a tap-dancing Stalin! Awesome stuff. And a good thing, too - since next year's Neptune musical is going to be dismal. The playlist for the 2008-09 season was just announced a few weeks ago, and the choice? Disney's High School Musical. Oh gawd.

Afterwards, we dug deep into our pockets and went for dinner at Bish, on the waterfront. As it's been quite the trendy place for the last few years, I wondered if it might be more style than substance - but I was happily surprised. Both the food and the service were really very good, and it wasn't quite as expensive as I thought it might be. Would definitely return.

No comments: