09 June 2008

I Want to Believe

Continuing with the sci-fi theme, I only found out very recently that there is a new X-Files movie due out in late July. How in the hell have I managed to miss that news?! The X-Files was one of my all-time favourite TV shows, and was required viewing for many years - even towards the end, when the series went on far longer than it should have, with predictably lame results (I still can't forgive Chris Carter for the sheer ignominy of the Lone Gunmen's demise).

The new movie is called The X-Files: I Want to Believe (naturally!) and is supposedly set some years after the original series ended. Apparently, this movie was meant to be made and released only a year or two after the TV series ended in 2002, but various delays and squabbles meant that it's only getting a release now. It's all been a bit hush-hush, with very little news leaking from the set over the past year. I wonder if that's a good thing or not, though - if devoted fans like me are only just hearing about it now, it doesn't say much for building pre-release excitement.

No matter, though - I'll be at the cinema on opening weekend, to get me a long-overdue dose of Mulder and Scully and their criss-crossing flashlight beams. Woot!

No comments: