07 July 2008

Sayonara

Wow - what a great couple of days I've had here in Tokyo. Just what the doctor ordered. I've packed in a fair bit, but have had lots of relaxation time too. Spent Saturday night prowling the streets of East Shinjuku and the Golden Gai. On Sunday morning, I strolled in the beautiful forest and gardens of Meiji-Jingu, before visiting the impressive Shinto shrine there (and got to watch two wedding processions to boot!). Early evening was given over to shopping and strolling around more of the huge department stores surrounding Shinjuku Station. And today, another mix of old and new. This morning I visited the Buddhist temple of Senso-ji; this evening, I headed south to explore the massive Roppongi Hills, a sprawling complex of shopping malls, restaurants, residences, cinemas, parks and gardens, a stadium, and art galleries. Perhaps the best thing there, however, is the tower onsite - from the roof of which there is an incredible 360-degree view to be had over the entire city. I went up at twilight, and it was super.

Tomorrow morning I'll be packing up, then heading for the airport around noon. My flight is not until 5.00 pm, but I want to bag a bulkhead seat if I can, and take advantage of last-minute shopping opportunities at Narita Airport. The flight to Toronto takes 12-odd hours, so hopefully I can access laptop power on board in order to work on my travelblog, and maybe sort through my photos too.

This has been a wonderful trip, but I'm ready to go home. :-)

No comments: