02 August 2008

Am I Turning Into a Hippie?

You can be honest and just tell me, you know. It's OK.

I've finally signed up for one of those organic food box schemes, where you get fresh produce delivered to your home regularly. To start with, I've set up a standing order for the "Dogma Box" (in which all the produce is not only organic, but also local), to be delivered every second Saturday. I admit I'm more interested in the fact that the produce is local - though things should get interesting in the winter, when I imagine we'll be eating a lot of apples, spuds and other root vegetables.

But for now, I'm looking forward to enjoying a nice variety of local fruit and veg over the coming months. The service sells lots of other organic/local/ethical foodstuffs as well, which you can add to your order if you want. This week, I tried to add bread and pastries from Boulangerie La Vende
éne - certainly the best bakery here in the HRM - but my order got lost somehow. Ah well, next time.

Here is what we got, in this week's delivery:


(l-r: carrots, beets, Swiss chard, turnip, new potatoes, tomatoes, a cucumber,
a yam, mushrooms and lettuce)


While I could go and buy all this produce - and bread from
La Vendeéne - at the Farmers' Market on any given weekend, this system is so much more convenient. I hardly ever manage to drag myself down to the Market early enough on a Saturday to beat the crowds. Having all this stuff brought to our house every two weeks will, I hope, compel me to eat more healthily as well as learn some new recipes and cooking methods. Otherwise, most of it will become very expensive food for our rabbits!

As for the hippie thing, even if having an organic food box delivery doesn't mean I have to start growing my hair and smelling of patchouli, I am well aware that it is, at the very least, high on the list of Stuff White People Like. Heh.

No comments: