29 October 2008

Book Club

So I recently joined what looks to be a very cool book club. My friend C. has been a member for a number of years, and invited me to check it out. Not only is it an opportunity to read some great books (many of which I probably would never have picked up otherwise), but it's a much-needed chance to get out and meet new people. I went to my first meeting on Monday night. There were about eight very interesting women there, all professionals mainly drawn from law and academia. And one of them is the newly-elected MP for Halifax, which is pretty neat (said she's still hoping to attend meetings whenever she's home from Ottawa).

We spent about half the evening talking about this month's book, The Watsons by Jane Austen (which I enjoyed, surprisingly - I've never been a huge fan of Austen, but I might have to give her another try). The rest of the time we drank wine and debated what to read over the coming months. November's book is Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, which I have to get stuck into fairly soon if I'm going to get it done in time. I'm slightly creeped-out by the prospect, but keeping an open mind....

No comments: