02 November 2008

Frost/Nixon

Saw Frost/Nixon by Peter Morgan at Neptune last night. I'd really been looking forward to it as I've heard so much about this play in the press lately (it's also been staged in Toronto and Vancouver recently). It didn't disappoint - it was excellently-written. I did wonder a bit about the two lead actors, though - they were certainly competent, but I wasn't wowed by them. As a result, the final scenes of the play - where Frost elicits Nixon's confession of complicity in the Watergate scandal - weren't quite as compelling and dramatic as I imagined they'd be. It will be interesting to compare this production with the film version that is currently in production; the film stars the original cast members who premiered the show in the West End and on Broadway (Michael Sheen and Frank Langella).

I certainly came away from the play wanting to see some of David Frost's actual interview footage with Nixon for myself. Luckily, YouTube is full of clips, so I'll be checking some of that out very soon.

No comments: