19 November 2008

Marquee Club Closing - Again

I've been hearing on the radio this morning that the Marquee Club is closing its doors for good. (Even the CBC Radio 1 programme Q reported on the news, just a little while ago).

It's a great shame, but probably inevitable. The club's owners announced in early 2005 that they were shuttering the place, due to the high cost of bringing acts to Halifax. Within months, however, they were opening for occasional shows. The last year or two, things seemed as busy as ever - but now the news that they are shutting again. As the Marquee is one of the premier live music venues in this city, it's definitely a loss. But I suspect something will come along and take its place in due course. I just hope that when it does, it's located more centrally downtown - my biggest gripe about the Marquee has always been that it's on Gottingen Street. While I'm sure rents there are cheap, I never felt terribly safe going there at night.

Last time I planned to go to the Marquee, it was to see Bloc Party in September - but I ended up re-selling my tickets cos I couldn't go. Looks like that was my last chance....

No comments: