28 February 2009

In Hoi An

Back in December, right after I booked this trip, I had second thoughts about the two nights I had planned here in Hoi An. I wondered if perhaps I might regret not spending a few more days here - and as it turns out, I was right. This is an absolutely amazing little town, and the perfect ending to what may well be my last visit to Vietnam.

Not only is our hotel a gem, as I mentioned in my last post, but the town itself is so charming, and authentically historic. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site, befitting its history as a major Southeast Asian trading port from the 15th to the 19th centuries. It is unusually well-preserved, with many centuries-old houses, temples and assembly halls, and the main streets of the historic centre are pedestrianised.

This morning, I joined H. and J. on a walking tour around the town, visiting a variety of buildings and taking pictures everywhere. Hoi An is equally well known nowadays for the vast number of tailors and shoemakers working here. You can be measured and have clothes and footwear whipped up in no time at all, and at amazing prices. Were I here a few more days, I would probably end up with an entire custom wardrobe. All the tailors and dressmakers have European and North American catalogues for clients to browse, and they will design or copy anything you want, in any fabric. It's incredible! And quite difficult to restrain oneself. This afternoon, however, I ordered some brocade slippers and a lovely lined wool-blend coat, both of which I have to go pick up tonight. The coat is costing me US $45 and will be ready in just three hours, apparently.

It's been an amazing day, but tiring too (it's very hot and humid, and I collapsed back at the hotel earlier for a shower and a rest). This evening, we'll head out for a final dinner here in Vietnam - though it will be hard to top our lunch, which we had in a lovely rooftop restaurant overlooking the river. Tomorrow morning, a taxi will be collecting me at 6 am and depositing me at Da Nang Airport, for my flight to Hanoi and my onward connection to Hong Kong. Should arrive at my hotel in Honkers by about 4pm - so looking forward to a fun evening there tomorrow.

No comments: