04 March 2009

Going Home

I'm in Hong Kong Airport, waiting for boarding to begin for my Air Canada flight back to Toronto. This has been a really great trip - definitely my best Asia trip so far, which is fitting since for all I know, it may also be my last!

I really enjoyed other trips here, but the foreignness of the places I visited really struck me, and I found myself quite happy to return home and to a degree of familiarity. That was much less the case, on this trip. For instance, over the past couple weeks I've really taken to the food here, and as time passed I haven't developed such strong cravings for Western food. That said, I still treated myself to the huuuuuge buffet breakfast at the Y this morning, because it's so fantastic and I knew it would keep me satisfied until I get fed on the plane later this afternoon. But even then, I had an omelette and bacon and English muffins, but also Chinese pork dumplings and steamed buns. All were super-tasty.

Highlights of my visit were definitely Hoi An and Macau. I won't be forgetting those places anytime soon. But really, it was all good - and I've been incredibly lucky to have been able to spend so much time here. I'm aiming to spend at least one or two of the upcoming 16 hours on the plane sorting through my pics and videos, so I can get those posted as soon as I can.

I get back after midnight tonight (Wednesday, Halifax time), and needless to say am taking Thursday off work to rest and recover. Not quite sure why I thought going back to work on a Friday was a good idea, but there you are. ;-) I'll be on my own until the end of the weekend too, as A. is now down in Virginia with the army, on some sort of winter warrior exercise.

No rest for the wicked though - next week we'll be hard at it in the kitchen again, as the countertops are due to be installed! Back to my old life!

No comments: