19 April 2009

God, I Love England

I was on the website of the Globe Theatre earlier this evening, booking tickets for J. and I to see a performance of Romeo and Juliet when we are in London next month. When I got to the booking page, I typed in my name and then opened the drop-down box to select my title. I was offered the following choices:

  • Mr
  • Mrs
  • Ms
  • Miss
  • Dr
  • Sir
  • Lord
  • Lady
  • Dame
  • Prof
  • Air Commodore
  • Baroness
  • Brigadier
  • Canon
  • Capt
  • Cmdr
  • Colonel
  • Count
  • Countess
  • Judge
  • Lt
  • Madame
  • Marquess
  • Prince
  • Princess
  • Rev
  • Bishop
  • Duke
  • Viscount
  • Viscountess

Do you think this theatre has high-class patrons? ;-) Though I'm puzzled by this rather arbitrary listing. The continental title of Count is included, but not Earl (the British equivalent)? And dukes are catered for, but what of their good lady wives, the duchesses?

Regardless, this is a wonderfully eccentric - and very English - list.

No comments: