17 September 2005

Recent Reading

I have not, in fact, read the last few books I've finished. I listened to them. Getting rather tired of my iPod musical options lately (guess I need some new CDs), so I've plugged into some audiobooks this summer, during my commutes to work.
  1. I bought Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje last year at Eason's in Dublin, cos it was in the bargain bin and only cost three euro or summat like that. As is the case with all of Ondaatje's work (hello, The English Patient), it's certainly a very worthy book. But it left me cold; reminded me why I don't really read much contemporary fiction. It was kind of the mental equivalent of eating your vegetables - ultimately good for you, but a bit dull.
  2. I actually have the paperback of The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier, bought some time ago at Hodges Figgis in Dublin. It has sat for absolute yonks in my 'to read' pile, though, so when I saw it a few weeks ago at the Public Library in audiobook format, I grabbed it. Given that it's historical fiction, I expected to really enjoy it - but I actually found the story a little thin. The tone of the book also struck me as kind of coarse (and not in a good way, sadly). All in all, I didn't really feel inspired to go read any of her other stuff - Girl With a Pearl Earring or no - but this week I ended up borrowing the audiobook of her first novel, The Virgin Blue, from the library anyway (probably because our library's audiobook selection is pretty poor, and there wasn't much else to tempt me).
  3. And on my bedside table at the moment? Why, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, of course. Jana loaned it to me when she was here visiting, and I've just dug into it in the past week. Unsurprisingly, it's utterly gripping so far. I expect to make short work of it.

No comments: