30 October 2005

Adventures in Home Decorating (con't)

The second floor of our house is a half-storey; it consists only of two bedrooms and a large landing at the top of the stairs. The landing is a quirky, eccentric space, and it's one of the things I liked most about the house from the first time I viewed it.

I have envisioned the space as a little reading area. I went as far as buying a nice armchair and small endtable for it, but other than that, nothing much has been done so far. But yesterday, I bought a rug (as the landing is the only place in the house where the original wood floors have not been refinished). I saw this rug a month or so ago, and instantly knew it was the one I wanted - and so I snagged it yesterday when it went on sale. This is it (still somewhat rumpled from the packaging).
I really like the circles, and the different shades of blue:


It's weird how a single item can inspire a whole space. As soon as I saw this rug, I suddenly knew how I wanted the landing to look: pale yellow walls, blond wood shelves for books, the armchair (which is beige), and roman blinds and an interesting lamp in shades of blue, echoing the rug.

Now that I can see it, I want it to look that way NOW. ;-) But I think I'll have to wait another month or two before there's time for things like painting.

No comments: