30 October 2005

Recent Reading

This morning, I finished The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (loaned to me by Jana). It was not at all what I was expecting. I thought it would be a historical novel, but it was entirely contemporary. Wasn't sure that it would hold my interest, but it was really awfully good, and quite a touching love story. Not the kind of thing I usually read, but I liked it a lot.

On my iPod at the moment is another audiobook, The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. I haven't read any pure fantasy like this in quite a while. It's OK, but like so many novels of its type, the story is heavily Tolkienesque; there's definitely a finite number of ways the standard sword'n'sorcery saga can be told. Still, it's fairly frothy, so in that sense it's not a bad thing to be listening to while commuting. And unsurprisingly, it's enormous - presented on a whopping twenty-nine CDs - whoooo!

Not sure what I'll start reading next - though I'm kind of tempted by Nick Bantock's Morning Star Trilogy (which I recently bought). Hmmm...

No comments: