25 November 2005

George Best

The famed footballer George Best died last night. Normally I don't give a toss about soccer, but Best was both a sporting and a pop culture legend in 1960s Britain. He played for Manchester United at the height of his career, but he was born and raised in Belfast, so Ireland loved him too.

Sadly, like not a few other immensely gifted people, his talents were overshadowed by his personal problems. He was an alcoholic nearly all of his adult life, and he had a controversial liver transplant a couple of years ago - after which he still couldn't stop drinking. And he was pretty unrepentant about his lifestyle. "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars," he once remarked. "The rest I just squandered."

Still, people loved him. The blanket press coverage across the pond today is proof of that. Hell, it even made the main page of CNN's US site this morning.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought his last name was Besht...

hehe...

J. said...

But it was! ;-)

If I lived in the 60s, I'd have wanted to be one of Georgie's dolly birds, I think!

J. said...

Should add that Mr. Best was the subject of some small talk between myself and the members of a certain band, some months ago in Boston! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Band? Which band? Halston?

J. said...

*giggles*

Yeah, Halston - that's it.
Ya know, their guitarist is super cute!

*acclaims self president of Halston Fan Club*

Anonymous said...

I have a crush on the singer...and I hear that he's gay, so I think I have a shot!

:)