26 February 2006

New Sarah Waters

Yay! Sarah Waters has just published a new novel, The Night Watch. However, unlike her previous three excellent novels, which were all set in nineteenth-century England (Affinity, Tipping the Velvet, Fingersmith), her new one is set in wartime London. No matter - I will want to read it anyway.

On reflection, I think I secretly want to be Sarah Waters. You know, brilliant girl with 'useless' PhD goes on to fabulous and lucrative career as celebrated historical novelist.... ;-) She's a nice person too - I met her briefly once. She came to a conference I organised in Dublin in 2004.

The Night Watch got an excellent review in yesterday's Grope 'n' Flail. Interestingly, the book was reviewed by Emma Donoghue, whom I know from my days at WERRC, and who is herself a rather good historical novelist.

No comments: