16 April 2006

Eastertide


My in-laws came round for Easter breakfast this morning. Did the usual traditional spread I grew up with - boiled eggs, Polish sausage, ham, lots of bread - which is nonetheless somewhat exotic fare for the Morrisons. This year I went to the Polish shop in the Farmers' Market to buy kielbasa (and what an embarassment of riches - they had three kinds to choose from, all brought in from Toronto). While there, I found these little shrink wrappers for eggs, imported from Ukraine I think. So I bought a packet and tried them this morning. I coloured half-a-dozen eggs with food colouring as usual, and did the other half-dozen with these shrink wrappers. You can see the results above - they looked really good! It was almost a shame to break the eggs and eat them later.

But it's not been a total Polack-fest today. Before leaving, my mother-in-law broke out a nice Anglo-Saxon Simnel cake that she made yesterday. Very tasty it was, too - I do like marzipan.

No comments: