17 April 2006

American Gods

Finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman over the weekend. I picked it up a few weeks ago as it's the current prescribed read for an online book club I joined last year. Very enjoyable piece of modern fantasy - but in the Clive Barker/Stephen King vein, rather than Tolkienesque.

I don't read much Barker or King, so I was actually surprised I enjoyed the book as much as I did. Having been very interested in world mythology when I was younger, I especially enjoyed the way Gaiman wove lots of different mythological tales into the storyline. And the central premise of the novel itself was intriguing - when immigrants come to America, do they bring the beliefs of the Old Country with them? And if they do, what happens to those beliefs, once transplanted? I'm quite looking forward to the online chat for this book, which will probably happen in a few weeks.

No comments: