01 April 2006

Junos -1

Well. It's officially Juno weekend and this whole city is in a tizzy. It's great.

Having heard crazy rumours the last few days, I just went on Ebay to see what Juno tickets are going for. The cheapest one I found was a general admission ticket (on the floor, no seat) with a current bid of $260. I'll check again tomorrow afternoon when most of the auctions are closing - should be interesting. Originally I had heard that out of the 10,000-odd seats in the Metro Centre, only about 3,000 were available to the general public (the rest were for the music industry people), but today I read that it might have been as few as 500 tickets. I find that hard to believe, but you never know. A small block of tickets were actually released for sale this morning - to foil the worst of the scalping, I suppose.

The nice thing about the Junos being in Halifax is that there have been lots of other events this weekend in connection with it, so everyone who wants a piece of the action can probably find something to do, even if they couldn't get tickets to the show. The JunoFest looks really great, with all kinds of artists playing different venues all over the city. And for the kids there was the Fan Fare this afternoon, where you could go meet some of the nominated bands and get autographs.

This morning I had to do some shopping and decided to walk the three-odd miles downtown, given that it was sunny and about 15 degrees. Did a bit of recce for tomorrow night down on Brunswick and Argyle Streets, around the Metro Centre (the red carpet will apparently be on Argyle). I think we'll head in early - drive about halfway and leave the car well outside downtown, then walk in and maybe get something to eat, have a stroll, and see what's what. Apparently the Metro Centre opens at 6.30, with everyone to be seated by 7.45 - I think the TV broadcast starts at 8.

I tell you, even for a Saturday morning, I observed an astonishing number of hipsters, clearly From Away, on the streets, yakking into their phones and soaking up the sunshine. I'm obviously not the only one who's noticed - the guy writing the very promising Juno Blog over at The Coast (kickass Halifax indie weekly which has all the coolest and most comprehensive Juno news) opined:

Toronto has descended upon Halifax. At least, that's the impression I got after Night One of the Junos festivities. While out on the town, I saw men with more product in their hair than any Haligonian woman. I think they might have been wearing make-up too. Not that they looked bad. They looked damn good and I might have been slightly envious.
Eh...if I were hipper, I suppose I'd spend my Sunday evening after the show trying to get into the afterparties being hosted by the various record companies at Rain, Tribeca, the Shoe Shop and the like. I'm prolly too old, not to mention uncool, for that. I'm just grateful that we got tickets for the show.

Stay tuned for updated reports!

No comments: