25 May 2006

Eurovision on YouTube

Jeez, you really can find anything on YouTube, can't you? Earlier, I was watching this year's performance clips from the ever-glorious Eurovision Song Contest, and just for a lark, I did a search for Paul Oscar, the 1997 entry from Iceland. And lo! I found it!

Oscar was the best Eurovision act of recent years, in my opinion, and the song, "
Minn hinsti dans", is a pretentious yet utterly compelling snippet of Eurodisco goodness. He didn't score all that well, but I reckon he was too good for the stuffy Eurovision jury (this was in the days before the general public could call in to vote!). And I remember thinking the live audience were rather scandalised by his avant performance, and all that PVC.

You can watch the clip - which was recorded from German telly - here (but you'll need to go about 1:15 into the clip, to skip over the 'educational' introduction to Icelandic culture shown beforehand).

No comments: