26 May 2006

Lookit What I Made! Part Deux

This week, I finally finished an evening coat I've been working on for ages. I bought this Vogue pattern last autumn, and found really nice fabric over the winter. Since I don't have a whole lot of patience when it comes to sewing, I took this project nice and slowly - and it paid off, because it turned out very well (thanks in part to being able to fit it on the personal dress form I made last winter).

I made the coat in charcoal-grey taffeta, with grey lining. It has contrast cuffs in a silver/black print, and grey beaded trim. I used a remnant of grey crinkle satin for the bow. This particular pattern was rated 'average' - a big deal for me because it's the first thing I've ever sewn that wasn't rated as 'easy' or 'very easy'. ;-) So while it's the hardest thing I've ever made, it's also the nicest.

On to the pics (which you can click to enlarge). Incidentally, the fabric is nowhere near as shiny as it appears in these pics; it has a bit of a sheen, but the flash just amplified that.

Full-length view:

Top half:

Bodice detail:

Sleeve detail (flash off - cuff fabric doesn't show up otherwise):


The coat is ready not a moment too soon. I shall be wearing it tomorrow evening....

No comments: