02 July 2006

Testing My New E-Bike

Mindful of the lack of traffic in the city on Sundays, I took an inaugural spin on my new bike this morning. I'd souped 'er up yesterday with a few new accessories (basket, bell, flashing rear reflector, wing mirror) and dug out my helmet, trouser cuffs, and lock, which I'd kept from my cycling days in Dublin. So I was all ready today.

Quite pleased with it so far. It is heavier than your usual bike, but not by a whole lot. No danger of me getting absolutely no exercise on that thing (unless, of course, I wanted to use the electric assist the whole time). The power assist is truly a thing of wonder. As soon as you approach a slope, you give the throttle (on the right handlebar) a little twist...and off you go. It's very smooth and quiet. The gearshift (on the left handlebar) is easy enough too - it's a seven-speed.

Anyway, I timed myself this morning - got from my garage to the back door of my office building in 12 minutes. Walking that distance would take me 30-35 minutes, so that's amazing. Now obviously, workday traffic will slow me down, but as I gain more confidence on the bike, I will go a little faster. But even allowing for time to get the bike out in the morning, ride in, and then take it up to my office (I'm worried about theft, so I think I'll bring it in, if my co-workers don't object), I can't see my commute taking more than 15-20 minutes, door-to-door. That's less than half the time of walking.

The only thing I am a little concerned about is the actual size of the bike. I think it's slightly too big for me - most standard 26" bikes are, given that I'm only 5'4". I've got the seat down as far as it will go, and can just touch the pavement on tiptoe, so that's not too bad. But the handlebars seem to be in an awkward position for me, and twisting the throttle and shifting gears, as well as braking, is a little hard on my wrists. Not a big deal, though - perhaps I just need to get used to it. At least the seat is nice and cushy - that's usually the biggest problem I have on bikes. Those skinny racing saddles are murder on the ol' sit bones!

No comments: