25 November 2006

Neptune; Armview; Frocks

I've had a busy 24 hours or so. Last night we went to Neptune for the first show in the studio series, This Is How It Goes by Neil LaBute. LaBute's material is infamously uncomfortable and edgy, so we knew it wouldn't be a dull evening. This show had racism as one of its themes - the script maybe tried a little too hard to be shocking, but it was pretty good all the same. Nice performances too.

There was no intermission in the play, and we were out before 10 pm, so we decided to stop in at the Armview on the way home. It was the first time we'd been there on a Friday night - a few months ago, they started bringing in a DJ to play in the lounge there on Fridays. We really enjoyed it - very mellow, chilled-out stuff (the DJs have even produced a special mix for the Armview - you can download the MP3 from their website here). We sat in the restaurant as I was in the mood for dessert (what else is new?) and boozy coffees. The lounge was pretty full though, so it seems they're doing good business with a young, rather hip crowd. That place keeps going from strength to strength - and I love that it's right across the road from my house.

Beautiful day here today - up early this morning to go to the Farmers' Market with L. and M. (found some Christmas present options, and bought a fir wreath for outside also). Then L. and I went to Winchesters to look again at wedding dresses. Last time she was there with my mother-in-law, she'd picked out four dresses, and today we narrowed it down to two. Her favourite really is wonderful, but I'm trying to encourage her to check a few other shops and take a few more weeks to think it over, rather than be pressured by the sales staff to order something right away. The bridal industry is such a racket, though - I was reminded today how much it drives me crazy. How else do they manage to convince sensible women to spend hundreds (or more likely, thousands) of dollars on a dress they'll wear once? There was no question for me that I'd have mine made - though having a professional seamstress for a mother obviously helps. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There were dresses?! Squee! I need information!!