17 December 2006

On My Way Home...

Sunday afternoon and I'm now waiting to board my flight here at Hong Kong Airport (free wi-fi everywhere, woo hoo). This airport is a model of efficiency - the moment people step off planes, there are staff at the gate holding signs with names and flight numbers, and golf carts standing by to whisk travellers away to their onward connections. Fabulous - why can't every airport be so organised? It can't be anything to do with size - this place is huge.

I had a busy morning, getting my luggage repacked, then racing around the local area finding some breakfast and picking up a few last-minute items. Then it was time to check out of the hotel and get the airport coach. The drive here was surprisingly scenic (for an airport highway). Glad I packed my camera in my handbag - I took a lot of pics from the coach.

I got to the airport over three hours early, so I could try to change my (not very good) pre-assigned seats. Had success - for the flight to Toronto, I now have an aisle seat near the front with a power point, so I can use my laptop throughout the flight (I probably could have gotten a bulkhead seat, but getting work done on my lectures was more important than ample leg room). Got a bulkhead seat for the Toronto-Halifax flight, though.

Guess I should post this now - they'll be calling the flight to board soon. Sixteen hours in the air - ugh. I hope the movies are good! At least I have a free pass (courtesy of B. and P.) for that nice Air Canada lounge in Toronto, so that's something to look forward to.

Goodbye Asia! It's been amazing!

No comments: