02 July 2007

In Caracas

OK, so...we've arrived. Got in late Saturday night. All went well except that my suitcase didn't arrive with me. *curses* Cue much anxiety and hurried shopping Sunday morning for something clean to wear for the day. But thankfully my bag was delivered this morning.

Yesterday all the Canadians were taken out of the city for the day by the bride's brothers, to visit a "rum farm" (as they call it...haha). Santa Teresa has been distilling here for over 200 years and we had a full tour of the facility and the estate where the sugar cane is grown, etc. Of course there were the obligatory tastings also. I don't much like rum, but I must say that the Cuba Libres, mojitos and other v. tasty rum drinks we quaffed all afternoon were very nice indeed. :-D

Today was a free day so I hit the shopping centre - which was surprisingly North American and so slightly odd. I'm off to investigate the hotel pool now, then have a little rest before dinner with the others this evening. More Canadians and Brits have been arriving today, so there should be quite a few of us.

Blogging from Caracas should be fairly easy as our hotel has a computer room. I'll probably post again before we head out to the jungle on Wednesday a.m.

No comments: