22 August 2007

Upcoming Shows

Trying to decide, this week, whether I should get tickets for a couple of shows coming up in September. On the 14th, Metric are going to be here. I'm not sure how much I like them (I need to make a point of listening to some more of their stuff, in my ample spare time), but the cognoscenti are certainly all abuzz. I wouldn't dither, except that they're playing the Cunard Centre downtown - a new venue which is all general admission, I believe. And there are very few bands I like enough to put up with the prospect of being pushed and shoved all night by drunken college kids.

The die may already be cast, however. Looks like A. will be buggering off out of town again for two weeks in September, to do another army course in Kingston. So unless I can convince a friend to come with, I don't think I'll be seeing Metric this time around. They'll be back, though - they're Canadian, after all.

A show which I may well try to see on September 11th is Loreena McKennitt at the Rebecca Cohn. I actually saw her live once before, at the Cohn in 1994, and I was enraptured by her. At the time I thought she was this mystical, pre-Raphaelite lady...but in the years since, I don't think she's progressed all that much, artistically. Her latest album, An Ancient Muse, strikes me as a bit of a pretentious re-tread of The Mask and Mirror and The Visit. Still, it would probably be an enjoyable show - and one I'd be quite happy to attend solo, if need be.

No comments: