06 December 2007

College Christmas

Went tonight to a holiday 'do laid on by the alumni association of the university where I did my undergrad. It was held in the President's Lodge, and both C. and L. came along with me. I've only gone to this event once before, but it's quite lovely. There was plenty of drink, lots of scrummy nibbles, and a splendid performance by the Chapel Choir, who favoured us with four carols.

The organisers of this event are very clever, in that it deliberately echoes College Christmas - a tradition that I and many others so loved as an undergraduate. The university laid on the loveliest Christmas celebration, which was always held the Sunday after classes ended for the term, before exams began. It started in late afternoon with a candlelit Lessons & Carols service in the College Chapel (which warmed the cockles of even my agnostic heart). It was followed by Formal Meal in the dining hall, into which we all trooped in our black academic gowns, fidgeting during the Latin grace before tucking into turkey dinners. (And no, I'm not kidding - outsiders haven't nicknamed that place "Hogwarts" and "Narnia" for nothing.)

But the very best part came afterwards, when the annual Christmas meeting of the college literary society convened in the main lecture hall. We'd all get a bit tipsy on the (admittedly rather cheap and nasty) mulled wine while listening to holiday-themed readings. The roster changed annually, although certain readings were considered sacred. The normally-pompous and terrifying Professor H. would reduce me to tears every year with either "The Happy Prince" or the "The Selfish Giant" by Oscar Wilde. One of the chapel wardens would read "A Child's Christmas in Wales" by Dylan Thomas, while a deep gravelly-voiced don could always be relied upon to recite "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".

To me, during those wonderful years, College Christmas always marked the true start of the holidays. I love that even as an alumna, I still have the chance to experience a little of that special feeling again.

No comments: