22 December 2007

New Books and Houseguests

One of the many things I like about this time of year is that the newspapers are full of retrospective book reviews, pointing out new titles whose releases passed me by. This morning, I was getting caught up on some reviews and found Trading in Memories: Travels Through a Scavenger's Favourite Places by Barbara Hodgson. It chronicles her travels across Europe and North Africa, visiting flea markets, graveyards and used bookstores - which, naturally, are some of my favourite haunts as well. Looks fascinating... *adds to Amazon wishlist*

My parents are arriving tomorrow. After several years of entreaties, they (and my uncle) are coming to spend Christmas with us in Halifax this year. I'm a bit nervous of the massive hostessing burden I've taken on (sit-down dinner for five on Christmas Eve; buffet for nine on Christmas Day), but I've been planning for weeks now and hopefully all will be well. I'm starting the baking today - I'll do the mince pies and shortbread this morning, then carry on with eggnog cheesecake this afternoon. There will be no shortage of food in this house over the coming week, I can tell you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you read Proust & the Squid yet?

J. said...

Proust and the Squid? Hmm, I dunno it...

Anonymous said...

http://www.amazon.com/Proust-Squid-Story-Science-Reading/dp/0060186399

Might be up yer alley?

Anonymous said...

I love the round-ups too. Although I then feel panicked about all the great books I missed.

Trading in Memories is a really beautiful book. I started it while travelling in Malta.

I also helped work on the website so I have a bias there, but she's a fantastic writer.

Happy 2008.

tradinginmemories.com