20 July 2008

Reading and the Internet

Interesting piece on The Sunday Edition this morning. Maryanne Wolf, a researcher on child development, reading and language, was talking about the impact of the Internet on our reading abilities. With so many of us getting our information from the web now, Wolf argues that this is encouraging us to read on a much more shallow and superficial level than before. She's particularly concerned about the impact this may have on kids who, in the Google age, may end up never acquiring the skills inherent in deep, analytical reading - and may impair optimal brain functioning as a result.

My friend C. recently told me about Wolf's latest book on the subject, Proust and the Squid: the Story and Science of the Reading Brain. I should probably pick that up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Half of me wants to despair, while the other half is purty sure that brains will evolve to correspond better and better with our ever-changing world.

Different skill-sets needed in different eras!

J. said...

Hmm, is that you, C? ;-)

I guess we'll know in a couple decades, eh?

Anonymous said...

tis me!

After an amazing professor clued me in on how language develops (RIP, C.Millward), I hold nothing but hope for the future of practical intellect...always.

No need to be a stick in the mud...times change, with or without ye!

:)