20 July 2008

Stars

Just in from seeing a show by Stars, who were back in Halifax tonight after several years. They were actually here to close out a two-day festival, Summersonic, being held on Citadel Hill. Last time I saw them play was in January 2005, at the Marquee Club here in town. I bought festival tickets for today, but in the end decided only to see Stars. Part of the reason for that was the weather - in true Halifax form, it started raining just as we began getting ready to go out (argh). Otherwise, I might have gone down early to check out Wintersleep, who played just before Stars and are not bad. (Ironically, the only other time I've seen them play was when they opened that Marquee show for Stars over three years ago).

Anyway, I sucked it up, put on my rain gear, and we headed out to the show. We got there just a couple minutes before the band hit the stage and it being a festival, they only played for about an hour and a quarter. Which was fine by me, as it was a great set and we didn't get too soaked in the process. The band seemed in fine form (Torquil acting like a pretentious prat, as usual), and the setlist was great. Interestingly, they mentioned that they'd been asked to open for Paul McCartney at his bigass free show in Quebec City tonight - but bless 'em, they turned it down to headline in Halifax instead.

If there was anybody there tonight older than A. and I, I didn't see them. I always feel ancient at these sort of events - all the more so because I find myself clucking at the teenagers running around in miniskirts, tanktops and flipflops, teeth chattering from the cold and rain. Oh, and I had to keep moving around to avoid the dope-smokers - second-hand inhalation is about the last thing I need right now. ;-)

No comments: